Learning Through a Pandemic

Ruth Estrada, Staff Writer

This year we are saying hello to one another from a six-foot distance.

Approximately three-fourths of students is attending school in the hybrid model.  Students are attending school in person two days a week, and virtual three days a week.  But not all students went that route.  At least one-fourth of students are doing all virtual learning.  Virtual learning has both pros and cons.

“It’s hard but I manage to get work done,” freshman Joesiah Douglas said.

Communication is key between students and staff; especially now that forming that connection can be quite difficult.

When students and staff are at home attempting the daily work can be difficult. Students may feel stressed and distracted. Teachers may feel overwhelmed and frustrated.

Instructional Assistant Mingus Craddock said, “Staying focused at home can be hard, but I just make sure I don’t do my work in my room.  I usually go to the kitchen table, so I am not distracted.”

Some students are pro-mask for the safety of others and themselves.  All students are  trying to keep others as safe as possible.

“I think it’s good for the safety I just don’t like it ’cause it’s hard to breathe,” freshman Kaydence Cramer

Most students are getting used to the new schedule for school. Some  like the hybrid model, but some do not.

“It’s decent, I like doing half and half and online school is tolerable,”  freshman Brenden Francis said.

Even with everything happening, many students are making the most of their year.

“Try to get involved with anything you can and leave your comfort zone,” senior Jovan Satterwhite said.

“Although this school year has been difficult, I’ve kept a positive attitude by keeping in touch with family and friends,” sophomore Molly Bryant said. “It’s important to be patient, both with your school work and the pandemic because we have never faced anything like this.”