Sports Through A Pandemic

Isaak Peterson

Madison Buell and Savannah Ryun warm up catching the ball before a game on Sep 8th,2020 against North Kansas City High school. Photo by Destiny Mattingly

Winnetonka 2020 sports is very different from previous years. Rules have changed for the safety of students, staff, and also families of students and staff. These changes proved necessary for sports to occur at Winnetonka. For example, how sports must be played, practiced, and even watched.

“The majority of regulations have not been set yet, providing the obstacle of not knowing how to handle certain situations. With baseball being a spring sport, there have not been any regulations set, ” Baseball Coach Heath Lay said. “If things don’t change between now and then, I know that we won’t be able to travel to one of our tournaments. Other than that, I will just have to wait and see how things develop over the next few months. ”

Where the situation seems unclear, coaches are left unsure on which calls need to be made. Athletes will also face the effects of the pandemic on their activities.

“This year was so much more successful for our team and for the individual players, ” sophomore Krista Storms said. “It looks as though like in many other situations it is a very split ended story where some thrive others are struggling. Given the difficulties of COVID-19 some things are more difficult than others and this just goes to show that even more. Having seen how things have been operated during the fall,I don’t think that things will be harder. ” Heath Lay said, “I just think we will have to be stricter on the rules that we must follow to be eligible to play in the games. ”

Bobby Crawford carries the ball against Raytown South on Sep. 11, 2020 on our home field. Photo by Destiny Mattingly

Despite being in a global pandemic, athletic departments aim to bring a sense of normality back into their seasons while following safety guidelines.

Lay said, “My staff and I will be ready to adapt to any rules so that we can have a successful spring season. ”

Missouri State High School Activities Association reminds you to wear a mask and stay six feet apart and take the proper safety precautions to protect yourself and others.

“The majority of regulations have not been set yet, providing the obstacle of not knowing how to handle certain situations. With baseball being a spring sport, there have not been any regulations set,” Baseball Coach Heath Lay said. “If things don’t change between now and then, I know that we won’t be able to travel to one of our tournaments. Other than that, I will just have to wait and see how things develop over the next few months.”

“This year was so much more successful for our team and for the individual players,” sophomore Krista Storms said.

“It looks as though like in many other situations it is a very split ended story where some thrive others are struggling. Given the difficulties of COVID-19 some things are more difficult than others and this just goes to show that even more. Having seen how things have been operated during the fall,I don’t think that things will be harder.” Heath Lay said, “I just think we will have to be stricter on the rules that we must follow to be eligible to play in the games.”

Senior Dorianna Braxton cheers on the Winnetonka football team on Aug. 28, 2020 against William Chrisman high school . Photo by Kirstyn Crane

Lay said, “My staff and I will be ready to adapt to any rules so that we can have a successful spring season.”