An estimated 500 to 600 students march on the track after walking out of their second block classes in order to advocate for school safety and fight against gun violence.

Carson Smith

Walking out

Students speak up in the wake of school shootings

March 15, 2018

version="
Speaking up

Allison Schoonbeck

Senior Kennedi Walker and juniors Rosie Rodriguez and Makayla Cambiano link arms during the protest against gun violence.

Speaking up

Students participate in walkout to end gun violence

One month after the shooting at Stoneman Marjory Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, more than 500 students participated in the #Enoughisenough national school walkout during Tonka Time from 10 to 10:50 a.m. on March 14 to raise awareness about the effect of gun violence on school safety.

The students wore orange, representing the national school safety color and the official color of the #Enoughisenough movement. Hunters wear the color orange to order to let other hunters know that they are nearby and to not to shoot, and according to junior Joe Bell, this also symbolizes awareness of student safety – to ‘not shoot’.

“I am here because I believe that the voices of the students will be the change in the world,” junior Rosie Rodriguez said. “And if we can show that our voices are heard, then in these types of situations we can get through them together rather than having someone struggle. We can be a community to help each other and have love and know that we are safe.”