Why is it right that infected people have poisoned healthy lives with no repercussions?

Brianna Hartleb and Emily Elliott

Just as the United States irradiated the swine flu, a new challenge has emerged: the measles virus.

According to NBC, measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease spread through the air. If someone is not vaccinated, they have a 90 percent chance of contracting it, whereas with the vaccine there is a 95% chance one cannot contract the virus. Each victim can infect 12-18 people.

“The state has a law that states if there is an outbreak, the people who are not immunized have to be excused from school for an incubation time of 21 days,” nurse Diana Wilson said.

According to ABC, the most recent outbreak began with a group of infected people visiting Disneyland in December 2014 or from a traveler who had became infected overseas.

“I don’t want to believe that people would take their children to places to infect and expose others,” Wilson said.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the outbreak has spread to 17 states since Jan. 1, with 154 reported cases. Of 154 cases, 104 of them are out of California.

“I feel sorry for the children who have it [measles] because of the complications that accompany it. It can be severe and cause heart damage,” Wilson said.

People have developed anxiety-based fears about having a measles vaccination and vaccinating their children.

“People don’t want to immunize their children because they had a bad experience with it or they read bad information about it on the internet,” Wilson said.

If the public is not educated about the diseases that can be easily spread, we will encounter several other outbreaks such as the current measles issue.