Unrealistic standards lead to negative self image

Although body image impacts women, people seem to forget that men are also affected.

Men can have negative perceptions of their bodies just like women. Both genders tend to see their bodies as less than ideal.

As a society, we base our judgments on appearance. We would rather have a news anchor that is attractive and dim, than one who is more intelligent, but missing a tooth.

First impressions are important, but sometimes judgments are passed before anyone speaks.

When flipping through a magazine, people tend to look at the pictures first to decide what they want to read. If a picture is not of something beautiful or tragic, then more often than not, the article will be skimmed or just skipped altogether.

In advertisements, the women are depicted as beautiful, elegant and skinny. This puts pressure on teens to try and achieve the figures these women perceive.

The waist size of a professional model is 24 inches, while the waist size of an average adult women is 37 inches according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.

This gap in sizes shows how outrageous the idea is that teens could achieve these bodies.

Ideal images for men are just as unobtainable. Men in advertisements are shown as muscular, tall and sexy.

The average height for a male model is six feet. While the average height for a teen boy is five foot seven inches and five foot eleven inches (according to teens.lovetoknow).

Most teens are not done growing, so trying to achieve the body of a youthful adult model is unrealistic.

Another thing that people seem to forget is the fact that photos of professional models are photoshopped.

This generation of photoshopped advertisements are giving teens unrealistic ideas about an “ideal body.”

In Photoshop the models are trimmed down and their necks elongated. The lighting is exaggerated and blemishes are cleared.

Even the plus size models are photoshopped. Their hair is fixed and their blemishes removed. Some are even slimmed down with excess weight removed.

The definition of plus size is “clothing size designed for people who are above the average size,” according to “The Free Dictionary.”

Very few male models are classified as plus size. In Australia, there are several males pioneering the plus size field according to Mamamia Women’s Network.

The question that is raised by the public is why are plus sized models called plus size?

Why can they not just be called models? If they have signed a contract with a modeling agency what is the purpose of calling them plus size?

Calling models plus size just makes teens who fall into those catagories feel terrible about what they look like.

Whenever they sign a contract with a modeling agency they should be classified as a model. They are going to be modeling just like all other models so why do they have a seperate name just because they are larger than “normal”models.

If schools educated students after freshman year about the dangers associated with eating disorders and the unrealistic chance to have the body of a photoshopped model, students could maintain healthy weights and minds and ultimately live healthier and happier lives.