Mathematicians stop WWII

Alyssa Magrone

In “The Imitation Game,” Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) and his colleagues solve one of the biggest pieces of the WWII mystery.

The movie allows a glimpse of the secret life of Turing and other mathematicians who attempt to stop the Nazis U-boats.

Turing and his team plan to achieve this by decrypting German radio messages, but it is more difficult than it appears, due to a coding machine named Enigma.

Turing thinks outside of the box and comes up with revolutionary idea on how to break Enigma.

The movie will educate people more on how the war was fought; many will not have even heard of the infamous Enigma until seeing it.

Benedict Cumberbatch portrays Turing in “The Imitation Game” as a genius yet arrogant, socially awkward introvert whom viewers will find themselves oddly connected to.

With little resemblance to Turing, Cumberbatch makes up for it with his convincing acting skills, keeping the audience engrossed in the drama.

Kiera Knightley plays the strong female Joan Clarke. Her performance adds to the already emotional film, filling women with a sense of empowerment.

Cumberbatch and Knightley’s on screen chemistry builds the drama, allowing the audience not only to focus on the issue at hand, but the lives of these people.

Contributing to the suspense is the musical score. It is the perfect balance of soft and intensity, aiding to capture the importance of the scene.

This movie will leave the audience with feelings of new-found knowledge, rage, sympathy, and spark debate among many.

Overall, I give “The Imitation Game” an A.