The “Putnam” bee was a site to see

Rachel Adamson

Spelling words such as cow and crepuscule puzzled the theater department and their audience as they put on the “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”

Putnam is the second musical of the year. According to theater students it was an exhausting experience but their work paid off.

“All this rehearsal led up to this amazing production we had,” sophomore Randall Jackson said.

Standing on the stage with spotlights shinning directly would make most nervous. However, for junior Richard Cox, this is not the case.

“If I had something to be nervous about I would not be acting. I just go out and do what I do, which tends to be making people laugh at me,” Cox said.

Theater students have difficulty staying in character while on the stage, especially when it is a comical play such as “Putnam.”

“It was really hard for me to not laugh [at the audience]. I had to look at my mom and it made me stop laughing,” Cox said.

Junior Adeana Carr played the lead role of Rona Lisa Peretti, a former Putnam County spelling bee champion, who has come back to judge the 25th annual Spelling bee.

Carr found that portraying her character was simple because she was able to relate to who she was playing.

“I have people tell me that I am very motherly so in that sense, I reflect the character I played,” Carr said.

Everyone makes mistakes, even those who have rehearsed their lines numerous times. The theater students make up for forgetting their lines by improvising new lines.

“When I forget my lines I just fake it til’ I make it,” Jackson said.

“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” was a huge success with giggles and laughs erupting like a volcano throughout the entire musical.