Young; from Oak Park to Winnetonka

Baylee Gilliland

Splashing into swim season, thegirls take on a new head coach and several other obstacles.

This year the girls are adapting to a new head coach, and gaining new swimmers while at it.

“This is not my first year coaching. I coached for North Kansas City, Oak Park and Staley last year. This will be my first year coaching girls swim here at Winnetonka. I feel both nervous and excited at the same time. The coaching staff has laid out a great season plan, and I am ready to get it started,” coach Luke Young said.

The girls are excited to be swimming with each other, not just as teammates, but also as good friends.

“I just love excitement and how close we are as a team. We have so much fun swimming together,” sophomore Suzanna Zimmerman said.

Senior Marcia Ruiz encourages incoming swimmers to try their best and to believe in themselves.

“If I was to give any advice to an incoming swimmer, it would be do not doubt yourself and say you can’t swim. The coaches help you a lot and you’ll be impressed with what the outcome is,” Ruiz said.

Zimmerman’s ultimate goal is to improve her times in her races.

“My favorite style of swim is breast stroke, I like to keep doing it to improve my times every time we have a meet, or at practice,” Zimmerman said.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

“In order to keep swimmers coming back each year, our
program must be built on camaraderie, team spirit and inclusiveness,” Young said.

The girls wish to take this season to new lengths, beat times, improve points and hope to dominate in conference.