Creating forever families

The Marcantonio family reading

The Marcantonio family reading "Skippyjon Jones" by Judy Schachner on Dec. 14 in the Winnetonka media center.

Brianna Hartleb

Brianna Hartleb

Brianna Hartleb

A family is defined as a group of people that care for and nurture each other for the rest of their lives. Carrie and Todd Marcantonio [Winnetonka faculty] plan to do just that as they dive into the process of adoption.

“We were talking about adopting before we got married, and we were just waiting for the right time, and it just came up into a conversation again and it was just perfect timing,” Todd Marcantonio said.

Instead of adopting a child from the United States, the Marcantonios are adopting a young boy from Haiti.

“We feel like tons of children in the United States need a home and love. In the U.S. we have a reliable adoption system in place, but in third world countries there is no system, and everyone needs a forever home and family,” Carrie Marcantonio said.

This adoption will not only change the lives of the Marcantonio household but immediate family as well.

“We love babies, and to have another one join the family is exciting for us and I’m thrilled,” father of Carrie, Bob Hankins, said.

The Marcantonios chose their soon-to-be child’s age group around the dynamics and needs of their family.

“We wanted to keep it in structure between the ages of one and four so they weren’t older than our oldest and not younger than our youngest, and plus we already have two girls so we wanted to make it even so we chose a boy,” Todd said.

Bringing a child from another country into your family is always a difficult transition as they are unsure exactly how old they will be.

“Carrie has well prepared to bring this child into a loving home and to do it in a smooth process,” Hankins said.

When adopting from Haiti, the child is allowed to visit their hometown as many times as they wish to learn about their roots and where they came from.

“Once the child is 13 and struggling with their identity, proximity to Haiti lets you go back and visit [due to affordability],” Carrie said.

It is not unusual for families to be nervous about adding another member to the family, especially one who is not born into that family.
“I don’t have any fears, but I have concerns about making sure that the transition goes well for the child,” Hankins said.

The process of adoption is a long and slow one, taking around two years.

“On one hand it’s kind of frustrating to wait, but on the other hand it gives Carrie and the family more time and the opportunity to prepare for another baby in the home,” Hankins said.

Adopting this child will help change his or her life for the better. Senior Marquise Doherty has a special bond with the Marcantonio family because he has something in common with them.

“I was adopted when I was younger and it changed my life, and I think them adopting from another country will help change this child’s life especially since they are two great parents and role models,” Doherty said.

If you are interested in hearing or knowing what goes on with their adoption you can go to their blog at: determiningourstars.wordpress.com.

Senior Marquise Doherty shares a story with the middle child of the Marcantonio family, Jackson, on Dec. 14 in the Winnetonka media center.

Brianna Hartleb