Kansas City, royalty at last

Eli Stenner

The Kansas City Royals made the playoffs for the first time in 29 years.
Not only is this their first playoff appearance in almost three decades, but it is also their first World Series birth in that same time frame.

Not only did the Royals not make the playoffs from 1986 to 2013 it was a very long and grueling process. The Royals only notching six winning seasons in this 29 year tenure; totaling a record of 2014-2450. For those of you keeping track, that’s 446 games under a .500 winning percentage.

The Royals have gone through 12 managers and an insurmountable amount of young, upcoming prospects and players in this dark age.
Now they seemed to have turned a new leaf.

Not only have the Royals had two winning seasons in a row, but they plan to keep winning.
On Dec. 9, 2012 the Royals general manager Dayton Moore rolled the dice in trading away big prospects including 2013 rookie of the year Wil
Myers for starting pitcher James Shields and reliever Wade Davis.

Although Shields only had two years left on his contract, the Royals were confident that that was enough time to make a post-season run.

While being scrutinized at the time, due to the ‘two year window’ that everyone gave the Royals, to clinch a post-season birth because of the time left on Shields’ contract. Most would say they met their deadline.

After having a losing season in 16 of their previous 17 seasons, Kansas City has put together two winning seasons in a row. This is the first time Kansas City has had such a streak since ’93-’94.

While Moore made it clear that he was not planning to make a huge dip into the free agent market, he will do what he has and can do to make the team a contender to make the post-season once again next year.

Although the Royals would love to keep their star starting pitcher in James Shields, the budget they have just does not seem to cooperate with type of deal that he would be looking for.

In the coming years the Royals may not have the biggest pay-roll or the big name all star players, but they will have a plethora of young talent coming up from their farm systems, and the young faces that have already established themselves as household names here in Kansas City.

Finally, all the promises of brighter times to come have ended. Finally. Finally all of the “maybe next year’s” have ceased.

We are here. This is our time.