Missouri school locations to remain closed for the rest of the school year, Governor Parson orders

Elizabeth Payton, Staff Writer

Provided from North Kansas City Schools Facebook page.

On April 9, Governor Michael Parson announced that Missouri school districts will remain closed for the rest of the 2019-20 school year. Following this order, NKC Schools will continue eLearning until the end of the semester- May 22 for grades 9-11.

Senior activities, such as Seniors Honors Night and the initial graduation date have been cancelled and are to be rescheduled and modified to comply with this order. Events such as 2020 prom have been indefinitely cancelled. Food distribution and support services will continue to be available to NKC Schools families.

Read more about the order from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education here.

Following the order, Commissioner of Education Margie Vandeven shared a video to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Facebook page, detailing her thoughts on staying resilient in these times.

Missouri Commissioner of Education’s Message

Commissioner of Education Margie Vandeven shares a message with Missouri students, families and educators. “I know today’s announcement was hard to hear. But learning will continue, in ways possibly never before imagined. We will come out on the other side of this better – as students, as educators, as an agency and as people in general.”

Posted by Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education on Thursday, April 9, 2020