Hardwork paid off

Senior+Mya+Riley+welcomes+a+visitor+to+the+annual+regional+AVID+showcase+on+Feb.+15.+
Senior Mya Riley welcomes a visitor to the annual regional AVID showcase on Feb. 15.

Kaitlyn Minet

Kaitlyn Minet

Winnetonka High School earned a certification as an AVID Schoolwide Site of Distinction after the annual regional AVID showcase on Feb. 15.

The ranking represents the top 10 percent schools out of almost 6,200 internationally. Winnetonka and Maple Park are the first schools in the state of Missouri to receive this title.

According to AVID coordinator Todd Marcantonio, they have always received good results after the showcase, however, never ratings this high before.

“All three years we’ve done it we’ve gotten positive feedback from both avid center and the school districts that come,” Marcantonio said. “The school districts always talk about how well our kids do and then they talk about the different ideas that they get from us, everything from instruction to what your hallways look like to systems that you have in place.”

Senior Amy Chavarin feels the teachers have especially helped her progress in AVID.

“My AVID Teachers are always engaged with us to make sure we are able to prepare for our future and becoming independent,” Chavarin said. “I feel proud to be apart of a program that cares so much for students helping them get prepared for college.”

Marcantonio says the students and staff have a played a huge role in reaching this accomplishment to ensure they present the best image of the program.

“When we get closer to the showcase, the teachers and the students spend a little making sure that things are in tip top shape,” Marcantonio said. “The showcases are about showing your best foot forward and that’s what we try to do.”

Kaitlyn Minet