Wrestling to state

Senior Tyler Stults ranks second place in districts to advance to state on Feb. 11.

Photo Courtesy Ryan Lowry

Senior Tyler Stults went to the wrestling state competition on Feb. 16 in Columbia, MO., making him the first state qualifier for head coach Ryan Lowry.

Stults won second place at the district wrestling tournament on Feb. 11, qualifying him for State. Over the years, Lowry has seen Stults’ abilities.

“I’ve been coaching here for four years so I’ve known Tyler since he was a freshman,” Lowry said. “I know all the hard work he’s put in and that he deserved what he got. He earned that. He earned his way to being a state qualifier.”

Stults has all of his coaches to thank for his successes including wrestling in State for the first time.

“They’ve been an enormous help to me,” Stults said. “They brought me to where I am today and helped me improve. They’ve coached me in every right way they could have.”

Stults won his first match at state but did not have the experience the other wrestlers who had been to state before had.

“He wrestled really well the first round and won the first match but when you haven’t been to the state tournament before with the pressing situations you don’t know that when you lose you’re done,” Lowry said. “He wrestled not to lose as opposed to wrestling to win.”

Although Stults conquered the first match, he struggled to win the next two rounds.

Photo Courtesy Ryan Lowry

“In the quarterfinals, he ended up with the eventual state champion, a kid who took state fourth in State last year,” Lowry said. “Tyler’s a little undersized [for his weight class]. He just got out-wrestled. He’s in a tough bracket in our district but he still did pretty well but, unfortunately, he didn’t come back with a medal.”

Lowry believes Stults is capable of great things after high school.

“He has the potential to go out there and achieve what he has in high school at the college level,” Lowry said.