Yordano Ventura dies in a car accident

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yordano Ventura dies in a car accident

Photo from Arturo Pardavila III under the Creative Commons license

Clayre Barkema, Writer

On Saturday, Jan. 20, 25-year-old Royals player, Yordano Ventura passed away in a car accident in the Dominican Republic.

People all over the world are mourning the loss of this young life, but Kansas Citians feel the pain more than anyone.

“It was an extremely sad day,” assistant principal David Garrison said. “When the news first hit, I felt numb. I did not want to believe it and I hoped that it wasn’t true.”

Winnetonka staff and students wore Royals gear on Monday to pay their respects to the pitcher.

“It is a small way for everyone to pay their respects to Yordano Ventura, and it lets everyone know they are in our thoughts and prayers,” Garrison said.

Royals fans held a memorial service for Ventura on Sunday at the K followed by a candlelight vigil later in the evening with flowers and other Royals gear.

“The fact that they all came together to celebrate his life at the K shows you how much the city loves the Royals, and how we can all come together to help each other out,” Garrison said. “I also appreciated the fact that Royals players like Danny Duffy were there to offer their support as well, and that shows the bond between the players and the city.”

Many fans believe the Kansas City Royals have always been like a family and nothing proves that more than the city coming together to face the loss.

“Sports really do bring people together more than anything,” sophomore Maggie Williams said. “It always feels good to come together as a city for something.”

Ventura had an eventful career signing with the Royals in 2008 and debuting for the club on September 17, 2013. He pitched in two World Series games (2014, 2015) and had 93 major league starts. He held a career record of 38-31 in 94 games.

Ventura is remembered by his family and his teammates, like Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas posting statements on social media.

“ACE I love you my brother. I’m in disbelief and don’t know what to say. I love you ACE,” Eric Hosmer posted on Instagram along with a picture of him and Ventura.

“I love you Ace,” Moustakas said on Twitter. “I don’t know what to say other then I’m going to miss you a lot. RIP ACE.”