Holiday movies

Clayre Barkema, Writer

By Cari Foster

Winter break is 13 days long and these family-friendly movies are perfect to see over the holidays to avoid cabin fever while still spending time with loved ones.

Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange presents mind-bending magic for the first time to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so it was no surprise when many flocked to the theaters to get a taste.

The movie follows Doctor Stephen Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, on his journey into the world of the mystic arts. Likewise, Cumberbatch’s superb acting adds to the ambiance. With the many genius-like roles Cumberbatch has played over the years, Strange was no feat for him. As viewers watch, they are able to see Cumberbatch’s dedication shine through in his acting.

With the movie shaping reality, the scenes are elegantly put together allowing the audience to immerse themselves in Strange’s world. There is not a moment in the movie where viewers cannot believe everything they see. With whole cities turning on themselves to astro-dimensional battles, “Doctor Strange” introduces a whole new realm of possibilities for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“Doctor Strange” deserves an A.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Five years after the release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two,” J.K. Rowling creates yet another fantastic movie. Steve Kloves wrote the scripts for the “Harry Potter” movies, but Rowling decided she wanted to tackle the script of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” on her own. She did not disappoint.

While watching “Fantastic Beasts,” one will be transported to the wizarding world of Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne. The cinematography is visually invigorating and the set design makes the audience feel like they are actually in 1920s New York City. Exciting, action packed scenes will have audience members on the edge of their seats the entire time.

With references to Albus Dumbledore, Quidditch and Hogwarts, Harry Potter fans can believe that this is the world they love, but in a completely new and enticing fashion. Audience members see magic from the American perspective with its own respective wizarding government.

Harry Potter fans and muggles alike can expect much more riveting content in the years to come.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” deserves an A.

Rogue One: A Star Wars 

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” set between Episode III and Episode IV, follows a group of Rebel Alliance members as they embark on a life threatening mission to steal the plans of the Empire’s ultimate killing machine, the Death Star.

“Rogue One” was released on Dec. 16.