Troye Sivan drives Kansas City wild

Clayre Barkema, Writer

In Troye Sivan’s Suburbia Tour, fans will get the personal experience with Sivan that they had only previously felt when he would make YouTube videos. Sivan’s performance in Kansas City was no different. The 21-year-old indie pop singer captured the hearts of every individual in the audience from the moment he got on stage to the moment he left.

The opening act, Astrid S, blew away the crowd with her upbeat songs and happy attitude. The Norwegian singer was excited to share her birthday with fans and in a city that reminded her of home. This filled the audience with pride for their hometown.

Before her final song, Sivan surprised her with a birthday cake and led the crowd in singing her “Happy Birthday.” During her final song, she smashed the cake on her face and was laughing so hard she could not sing.

After her performance, there was a bit of a lull while the stage crew cleared the stage of the extra drum kit and unwanted cake scraps. As soon as the lights went off, the audience was screaming and cheering and did not stop until after the concert.

Sivan’s performance started off with a pre-recorded personal quote with the thumping of the bass in time with flashing lights. As soon as the music picked up, Sivan ran on stage with a huge smile on his face, singing the song “WILD.”

Sivan’s style of dancing fits with his quirky personality, swinging his hips and tapping his feet in time to the music. During slow and emotion packed songs, the stage would go dark except for a single spotlight from behind Sivan. This allowed viewers to see Sivan’s figure through his oversized t-shirt, which is another example of Troye’s eccentric character.

Sivan’s performance visually engaged the crowd and connected them in a whole new way. LED screens behind Sivan brought visuals that made viewers think differently about the lyrics they were hearing. During the song “Heaven,” the audience could tell that the emotion they heard was not what was meant to be felt. Sivan seemed happy and upbeat during a song that fans thought to be filled to the brim with sadness and struggle. He even told the audience that the song told a different message than he wanted it to, saying the song wanted to be somber but he didn’t mean for it to be.

One of the best aspects of the show was when Sivan frequently chatted with the audience. The most personal of these chats was when Sivan discussed the details of his day in Kansas City. This allowed audience members to feel unique and original, not as if Sivan had a scripted speech.

Before his performance of “Happy Little Pill,” which meant more to Sivan than meets the eye, he thanked the audience by saying that he owes them his success and it all started with this single.

Not a single soul wanted the concert to end, but as Sivan performed “Lost Boy” and his radio hit “Youth,” fans knew the end was coming.

“We have a special surprise for you tonight,” Sivan said. “We have never done this song live before. This is our last song. You guys have been awesome.”

The music began for “Swimming Pools” and the theater erupted in a hysterical fit of screams. The performance of the beloved song, was anticipated by the entire fanbase to be performed live since Sivan announced his tour. Fans in Kansas City were lucky enough to be the first to experience the breathtaking performance before anyone else.

After the music stopped and Sivan left the stage, the crowd was frozen in shock. The song moved the crowd to a stand-still. The audience was left speechless.

Overall, thanks to the small setting, Sivan’s performance was personable, engaging and emotionally moving. Fans already know that Sivan pours his heart and soul into everything he does and to the fans amazement he puts even more blood, sweat and tears into his music and performance. Even so, Sivan was able to put meaning into his show while keeping it appropriate for most people past the age of 13.

Sivan’s Suburbia Tour performance in Kansas City deserves an A.