Scholar bowl success

Shelby Hilburn, Writer

Scholar Bowl Team members won second place in North Kansas City’s JV Scholar Bowl tournament on Oct. 22, by going undefeated after the first round.

“After eight rounds of play they had a second showdown with Lee’s Summit West to determine the ultimate champion,” scholar bowl sponsor Melissa Camarda said.  

Sophomore and team captain Cari Foster and sophomore Donthae Brodie were each individually awarded a medal for most answered questions. Brodie was 9th overall and Foster was 2nd.

“It’s actually pretty exciting [winning a medal] since I’m a sophomore and this is only my second year,” Foster said. “I’m definitely happy about that.”

Foster said that she believes the team worked well together considering they had a couple newcomers that had never been on scholar bowl before.

“Despite this being our first tournament, we managed to hold each other up with our strengths,” Foster said.

According to Foster, the team meets up once a week for almost an hour and a half. They separate the junior varsity and varsity as if it were the “real deal” to help prepare for the actual tournament.

“We meet every Wednesday from 2:30 p.m to close to 4 p.m and we split up into teams and usually it’s jv vs varsity. We have our buzzer system set up and Camarda will read the questions,” Foster said. “Sometimes it’s [finding the answers] even as simple as looking up current events.”

Sophmore Donthae Brodie and Sophomore Cari Foster excited after receiving a medal for answering the most questions.