Griffin Grounds goes mobile

November 14, 2016

The engineering design and development class are contributing to build a cart for the Griffin Grounds coffee shop.

Special education teacher Dale Brown pitched the Griffin Grounds cart idea to engineering teacher Nicholas Schwieder so that Griffin Grounds can go mobile. Instead of always being upstairs, now it will also be in the lunchroom once a week. Schwieder found use of this idea.

“My seniors were trying to come up with a good project for the year so we just kind of put two and two together and decided that one of my projects for my seniors would actually be this project,” Schwieder said.

According to Schwieder, the cart will make delivering easier for the people who work at the coffee shop.

“They can easily move their counter to the cafeteria so that I think once a week they can sell coffee during lunch time,” Schwieder said.

Senior Michael Armendariz and senior Jessi Mizner claim that the cart will be made from scratch.

“We haven’t decided on which materials yet but we are looking at laminated wood and metal tubing,” Armendariz said.

Armendariz says the cart will have a cash register and a place to order drinks including a display of many flavor shots to add to the coffee.

“We hope to have it somewhere around seven feet long so there will be a lot of space to work,” Armendariz said. “You should be able to get out coffee a lot quicker than we were previously able to upstairs.”

According to Armendariz, the only challenging part of this project is making sure that the project gets done in time.

“Overall, it’s not going to be too difficult of a project,” Armendariz said.

Armendariz and Mizner hope to have the mobile cart done by the end of January so that everyone can enjoy it.

“We normally have all year for our project for the class but since my partner and I are making it for Griffin Grounds we have an accelerating timeline,” Armendariz said. “We hope to be building in the next couple of weeks.”