Homecoming 2016: Everything there is to know

Katie Bullock, Features Editor

Homecoming, an annual celebration of Tonka Nation, begins Sept. 19 with spirit week, and continues throughout the week ending in Friday’s pep rally, parade, football game, and a Saturday night dance.

Some of the spirit week days reflect this year’s homecoming theme, “A Night in Paris.” The spirit week themes are:

Monday: Holiday Day

Tuesday: Disney Day

Wednesday: Teacher-Student switch day

Thursday: French Day

Friday: Red and Gold Day

On Sept 23, there will be two school wide assemblies, (formal in the morning, and informal in the afternoon,) that will feature this year’s 12 homecoming candidates: Darius Campbell, Daulton Freeman, Jessi Mizner, Dakota Taylor, Eldridge Villegas, Bradley Willis, Kamryn Cain, Sally Dishman, Emanuella Evans, Zoe Goss, Grace Taylor, and Francesca Valente. Students will be able to vote for their favorite male and female candidate online during the school day.

The homecoming parade starts Friday at 5 p.m. The route starts at Macken Park, turns south on Howell to 23rd street, turns west to Fayette, and back north to 26th street, ending in the North Kansas City High School parking lot.

At 5:15 p.m. several of the Winnetonka booster organizations are offering a free tailgate with hamburgers, chips and drinks. Donations will be accepted to help offset the cost. Music will be provided by a DJ to help get everyone excited for the game.

At 7 p.m. the Griffins will kick off against the Raytown South Cardinals at the district fields at North Kansas City High School. Winnetonka Key Club has partnered with KC Project Warmth, an organization dedicated to providing coats and other winter clothes to those in need. To receive student priced admission to the game, bring gently used winter clothing. Key Club volunteers will be collecting donations at the gate.

The homecoming candidates will take to the field during half-time, at which time the king and queen will be announced.

Those students who plan to attend the Sept 24 dance, sponsored by the Pom Pon Squad, runs from 7 – 10 p.m., will need to have purchased their tickets in advance. Tickets are $8 each or two for $15, and can be bought in the cafeteria during homecoming week.

There will also be homecoming T-shirts for sale for $10 at the ticket table. If students would like to bring someone from a school other than Winnetonka, they must complete a form which can be picked up from the main office. The dance will take place in Winnetonka’s main gym.

Homecoming candidates at the military appreciation game on Sept 2. The king candidates (left to right) are Eldridge Villegas, Bradley Willis, Dakota Taylor, Darius Campbell, Daulton Freeman and not pictured is Jessi Mizner. The queen candidates (left to right) are Francesca Valente, Emanuella Evans, Zoe Goss, Grace Taylor, Sally Dishman and Kamryn Cain.

Mia Norsworthy