FASFA night requirements

Emily Elliott

Tuesday Feb. 16 and Thursday Feb. 18 from 4pm to 6pm, students will have the opportunity to work with the counselors and college Advisor Casey Gergen to fill out The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA).

FASFA is required and available for any high school student going into college. The basis of FASFA is to determine how much money the family is expected to contribute and how much the student may receive in free money.  This will help parents know if they need to take out a PLUS loan, if the student will need to take out a loan (and there are various types available) or if the student will get state and/or federal grants.

“If you’re planning to attend a four-year college, community college, or trade school next year, you should file your FAFSA. It’s the first step to getting money for school,” Gergen said.

Students and parents who are interested in FASFA night need to bring their Social Security Numbers, 2015 Federal Fax Forms, 2015 W-2 forms, roof of any other income, Alien Resident Number for non United States residents and a fully charged laptop.

“I feel like it will show the people who think they won’t be able to go to college, because they think they can’t afford it, realize there are other ways to pay for college,” Junior Mya Riley said.

Students who have any other questions can contact Casey Gergen for more information.