Girls swim JV conference

Angela Sluder, Writer

Junior Suzanna Zimmerman, (left) freshmen Emily Reed, Kathryn Bullock and Anna Braman posing with their medals after the JV conference swim meet on Jan. 28.

Junior Suzanna Zimmerman, (left) freshmen Emily Reed, Kathryn Bullock and sophomore Anna Braman posing with their medals after the JV conference swim meet on Jan. 28.

On Thursday 28, 2016 Blue Springs hosted the JV girls swim and dive conference. Winnetonka had a total of four girls go to the JV conference.

The first event the girls swam in was the 200 Medley Relay. Unfortunately, the swimmers disqualified when the third swimmer left the block too early. “In all honesty loosing the relay didn’t really matter to me. The important thing was that we did our best,” freshmen Kathryn Bullock said.

Junior Suzanna Zimmerman swam the 200-yard freestyle and placed 2nd after cutting 4.40 seconds off her time. “[My goal] was to be the best I could be even though I doubt myself all the time,” Zimmerman said.

Freshmen Anna Braman swam the 200 yard IM. She got 1st place in her division and won a medal even though she added .4 seconds to her time. “My goal was to achieve top three in my conference,” Braman said. Bullock and freshmen Emily Reed both swam in the 50-yard Freestyle. Bullock got 4th place and cut 3.01 seconds off her time. She medaled in the event also. Reed got 7th place and added .83 seconds onto her time. “I just wanted to be a better swimmer than I started out, and I did that,” Reed said.

Bullock and Reed also swam the 100-yard freestyle. Bullock got 4th place and cut 3.95 seconds off her time, she also medaled. Reed got 7th place and cut .23 seconds off her time. “The whole meet to me was more about pushing our hardest and doing our best, and the placing didn’t matter as much as the fact that we were there together,” Bullock said.

Braman and Zimmerman swam in the 500-yard freestyle. Braman got 1st place and gained 5.53 seconds. Zimmerman got 2nd place and shaved .30 seconds off her time. “I always got better with my 500. As a team, we definitely got better,” Zimmerman said.

The last event the girls swam in was the 200-yard freestyle relay in which The they took 1st place and cut 6.72 seconds off their time.