Orchestra inspires community

Mallery Zion, Editor

On Saturday December 12, the Liberty Symphony Orchestra had their “Sounds of Christmas” holiday concert, featuring KMBC Chief Meteorologist, Bryan Busby.

The Liberty Symphony Orchestra has many key members from the school district, and also multiple alumni of the high schools. It is a community orchestra of high rigor, directed by Tony Brandolino.

“It was nice to see recognizable faces in the orchestra; I’m proud of the people in my area that I’ve known through other activities,” community resident Rosemarie Beeler said.

Some students were in attendance to the concert as well as a full house of communal residents.

“I enjoyed the concert because the music was well played and interesting,” freshman Cassy Pennington said.

Along with other notable music background, Busby is the principal timpanist in the Kansas City Civic Orchestra and Liberty Symphony Orchestra. He played timpani in the Sounds of Christmas performance, and also narrated “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” while the rest of the orchestra followed him in composition.

“I wasn’t aware he could play, so it did surprise me to see him performing,” Pennington said. “When he was narrating for the orchestra, his voice was just as soothing as the music.”

A twist to the normal orchestral performance was that Liberty Symphony worked in some audience participation, and had everyone sing along to a few well-known Christmas carols.

“I don’t think I enjoyed the sing-along songs as much because not all of the audience harmonized very well, but the music was great; I would go back again,” Pennington said.

“They have a good musical presence and were definitely a crowd pleaser,” Beeler said.

Liberty Symphony Orchestra’s next and final performance of the season is April 16, 2016 and will include a variety of classical classics such as Beethoven and Rossini. More information can be found on the Liberty Symphony website.

KMBC Chief Meteorologist, and also Liberty Symphony Orchestra timpanist Brian Busby, narrating the story “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” whilst the orchestra plays corresponding tunes behind him.

Photo by Mallery Zion