Key Club Expands to Help Around the World

Marley Kennaley

Key Club is organizing a big, school wide project during the month of December.

They are assembling hygiene kits to send to Syrian refugee camps in Greece. Their goal is to get 75 kits together by Dec. 14 and to unite the school together for a common cause.

According to the Medical Teams International, there are two kinds of refugee kits, one for families and one for babies; they will deliver medical and essential supplies including soap, dental care products, diapers and wipes, feminine hygiene products and other vital personal hygiene.

With this project, senior Kiera Hall believes that it will bring Key Club together as well as get others involved.

“People join Key Club to help out in any way they can, so it doesn’t matter what project we are participating in. We all come together as a group,” Hall said.

Sophomore Curtis Greer believes that some of the school will care about this project, but not everyone will be on board.

“There are people who believe that we shouldn’t help them out, like it’s a bad idea or something, they just don’t care about what happens to them all they care about is themselves,” Greer said.

Other projects Key Club has done throughout the years include adopting families around the holiday season and creating Valentines Day dances at retirement homes, but this is a first for a project outside the community.

“We don’t have any connection to the people we are helping, which I believe is a good thing,” Hall said.

Working with Key Club and doing projects such as this one is rewarding to students who decide to join. They [new members] will be able to help around the world and be more involved at Winnetonka.

“It makes me feel great to know that I am helping some in need, like what’s going on over in Syria. I personally don’t know what they are going through, but I still get that they need help,” Greer said.

Hall, as well as the majority of Key Club members, really enjoy the thought and act of helping someone out in need.

“I’m all about volunteering, I’ve been to another country for a mission trip and help kids, so I love reaching out to people, you know. People have a lot less than I do, so I would like to help them in anyway that I can,” Hall said.

Key Club meets every Wednesday during intervention in room Rc6 in the library.