Student takes on bullying

Bibiana+Meza%27s+bullying+poster+that+won+first+place+in+her+self+development+class.+
Bibiana Meza's bullying poster that won first place in her self development class.

Sophomore Bibiana Meza won first place in a bullying poster competition in her self development class.

“We all have a reason for who we are, and when were getting bullied it’s hard to believe that the bully does it for pleasure and satisfaction,” Meza said.

More than half of bullying situations stop when a peer intervenes on behalf of the student being bullied.

“We all know someone, or see someone who is being bullied but it takes more than confidence for someone to step in and say something other than standing there watching it happen,” Meza said.

Compared to students who only bully, or who are only victims, students who do both suffer the most serious consequences and are at greater risk for both mental health and behavior problems.

“If I knew someone who was a bully or a victim, I would sit down with them and make sure they get it off their chest because you know that’s all they need,” Meza said. “Just knowing someone is taking the time to ask them if there okay will make a difference on their mood.”

Meza is aware of the self acceptance that is needed in order to prevent bullying, both by the bullies and the bullied.

“We all want to feel confident in our body so we think getting compliments will make us feel better about our selves, but honestly it doesn’t. We won’t be satisfied with our looks until we fully except ourselves,” Meza said.

Actions aimed at changing the behavior of the bullying youth (fighting, getting back at them, telling them to stop, etc.) were rated as more likely to make things worse.

“What we need to do is just be understanding, go talk to somebody if your dealing with bullying, there are so many resources that can help you become stronger such as: teachers, counselors, friends, and family. Just know you’re not alone,” Meza said.