Hunger Strike Stands on Mizzou Campus

Hayden Weatherman

University of Missouri president, Tim Wolfe has resigned after student Jonathan Butler went on a hunger strike due to racial issues at the school. The Missouri football team backed Butler up by not participating in any team activities.

According to the Washington Post, Butler went on a hunger strike after a slew of racist, sexist and homophobic incidents.

Wolfe failed to make a change after student concerns about the racial tension billowed.

“I have asked everybody to use my resignation to heal. Let’s focus in changing what we can change today and in the future, not what we can’t change in the past,” Wolfe told ESPN.

The football team went on strike by not participating in team activates such as practices and games.

Originally there were 32 football players involved in the strike, but on Saturday November 7, the whole team decided to join. The organization, Club Concerned Students 1950 also were on strike playing a role in the decision.

“The Mizzou Family stands as one. We are united. We are behind our players,”  football coach Gary Pinkel said.

After eight days with Butler not eating, Wolfe resigned. Club Concerned Students 1950 also were on strike playing a role in the decision.

“My body is tired but my heart is strong. This fight for justice is necessary,” Butler said on twitter.