Game One of the World Series

Hayden Weatherman

Inning One

The top of the first was a quick one, two, three inning by Edinson Volquez. In the bottom of the first the Kansas City Royals started it all off with an inside the park homerun by Alcides Escobar. Followed by two fly outs by Ben Zobrist and Lorenzo Cain. Eric Hosmer then walked, but Kendrys Morales grounded out to end the inning.

1-0 Kansas City

Inning Two

Volquez continued to pitch well against the New York Mets with six straight retired after another one, two, three innings. Kansas City ended up leaving two runners on first and second.

1-0 Kansas City

Inning Three

The top of the third for the Mets produced two base runners, but after a Wright strikeout, the runners did not much else. Mets pitcher Matt Harvey did not let any Royals player get on base.

1-0 Kansas City

Inning Four

New York got their bats swinging after a getting runners on first and third. Lucas Duda got a RBI (run batted in) single putting the Mets on the scoreboard. Harvey then put the Royals down in order.

1-1

Inning Five

The Mets took the lead after a solo homerun by Granderson. New York stalled after that. Kansas City could not answer back keeping the Mets in the lead.

1-2 New York

Inning Six

The Mets got a leadoff hit from Yoenis Céspedes, then with a single by Duda Céspedes went to third. Michael Conforto hit a sacrifice fly allowing Céspedes to score. Zobrist leadoff for Kansas City with a leadoff double. Cain singled while Zobrist went to third. Hosmer then hit a sacrifice fly for Zobrist to score. Cain soon stole second and after a Mike Moustakas single, Cain was able to make the run tying the game up again.

3-3

Inning Seven

After a couple of hits by New York, Danny Duffy and Kelvin Herrera got out of a jam to keep it all tied. Harvey then got relieved by Addison Reed who pitched an inning without a hit.

3-3

Inning Eight

New York got some runners on and after an error by Hosmer, the Mets hit a run and take the lead back. Kansas City got some runners on first and third, but after a pitching change, Jeurys Familia closed out the inning.

3-4 New York

Inning Nine

Kansas City brought in Luke Hochevar to close out the ninth. The Royals needed a run and they got one after a solo homerun by Alex Gordan to tie the game up and send it to extra innings.

4-4

Inning Ten

It was a good pitching for both teams as the Mets and Royals each got sent down in order.

4-4

Inning Eleven

After a runner got to second for New York, the Royals locked up on defense and made New York strand a runner in scoring position. Kansas City got a runner in Salvador Pérez, but nothing happened after that.

4-4 New York

Inning Twelve

Kansas City stuck out the Mets in order. The Royals had a chance to win the game with a runner on third, but Jarrod Dyson flied out.

4-4

Inning Thirteen

New York could not get anything going in the top half of the 13 with only getting one runner on. The Royals again got a runner in scoring position. Then fell short because of a groundout by Paulo Orlando.

4-4

Inning Fourteen

Chris Young left the Mets standing for the top half of the inning. After a string of hits, The Royals had the bases loaded. Hosmer hit another sacrifice fly out that scored Escobar, allowing Kansas City to take game one.

Final 5-4