School threat leads to investigation

Parents picking up their kids to prevent them from the possible  situation on Oct. 16.

Parents picking up their kids to prevent them from the possible situation on Oct. 16.

Amber Murray

Amber Murray

Emily Elliott

Last evening and this morning a rumor was floating around to students and staff about a threat to shoot up the school during class hours today.

Initially, all staff members were not fully knowledgeable about situation, however they were alerted that there was a concern and to continue with the regular safety measures. Winnetonka HS classrooms keep doors locked, check I.D.’s in the hall and report suspicious behaviors.

Principal Matthew Lindsey wants to ensure the safety provided in the building.

“The increased presence of police is a precautionary measure,” Lindsey said.

Students were consistently being called out by parents.

“I would never put you, students or staff in harms way,” Lindsey said.

Emails and phone calls have been sent to parents and students to inform everyone of the situation at hand.

“We take all threats very seriously and take every measure to ensure the safety and security of our students, teachers and staff. It is always the top priority,” Lindsey said.

At approximately 10:03 a.m. Lindsey sent out a report that the investigation had concluded.

“As you know, we received word of a possible threat to our school today and immediately took action to make sure Winnetonka remained a safe place for our students, teachers and staff. We worked with our local law enforcement partners to determine the validity of the threat and to secure our campus. It was determined the alleged threat was NOT credible, and Winnetonka was never in any danger,” Lindsey said in an e-mail.