Event brings awareness and unity

Riley Stephenson

Photo submitted by Winnetonka HS teacher Jessie Pfautz. "The colors are symbolic of a Promise Garden," Pfautz said. Blue: I have Alzheimer’s. Purple: I have lost someone to Alzheimer’s disease. Yellow: I am supporting or caring for someone with Alzheimer’s. Orange: I support the cause and a vision of a world. without Alzheimer’s

Photo submitted by WHS teacher Jessie Pffautz. “The colors are symbolic of a Promise Garden,” Pfautz said.
Blue: I have Alzheimer’s.
Purple: I have lost someone to Alzheimer’s disease.
Yellow: I am supporting or caring for someone with Alzheimer’s.
Orange: I support the cause and a vision of a world without Alzheimer’s

Olathe, Kansas held the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Oct. 4. Friends and family of many ages, and four legged friends attended the walk.

“I have been doing this walk for the eight years now,” Melody Johnson said. Johnson walks for her great-great grandmother who passed away when she was only a child.

The walk is made to support those who have lost a loved one from Alzheimer’s Disease (ALZ) or someone who is fighting ALZ or a participant who has ALZ. Each of the categories has a flower pinwheel to make their own garden spin with a colorful twist.

“It is very tear jerking to see people all around me who are here to support the fighters who could not be here today,” sophomore Payton Stephenson said. Stephenson walks for his great grandmother who passed away before he was born.

According to ALZ’s website, ALZ is a incurable sickness that causes the brain to act abnormal and robs a person of their memories. Leaving the affected brain to deterioration

“We need to find a cure for Alzheimer’s, so no more people have to wake up with the same fear of dying any second,” Johnson said.

According to Walk to End Alzheimer’s more than 5.4 million Americans have died from ALZ or have ALZ.It is the sixth leading disease that kills.

Reasons for walking include:

By the conclusion of the ceremony, all Promise Flowers are raised high in the air to represent a commitment to leading the way to a world without Alzheimer’s.

From Left to right: Kristi Coppenbarger, Beth West, Jessie Pfautz (Winnetonka HS teacher), Sherry Ekstrom, Mandy Landers Back row: Sara Shepherd (WHS alumni), Tayna Shepherd, Renita Landers (North Kansas City HS teacher), and Teresa Shepherd.

Official ALZ  team photo featured on FLICKR.
From Left to right: Kristi Coppenbarger, Beth West, Jessie Pfautz (Winnetonka HS teacher), Sherry Ekstrom, Mandy Landers
Back row: Sara Shepherd (WHS alumni), Tayna Shepherd, Renita Landers (North Kansas City HS teacher), and Teresa Shepherd.