Sequel lives up to expectations

Jocelin Egeland, Writer

With thrilling adventure, unpredictable plot twists and epic sets, The Scorch Trials is a must see.

Dylan O’Brien plays Thomas a boy who awoke in the Glade and has been in the fight for his life ever since. After escaping the Glade, Thomas and his friends, including Teresa (Kaya Scodelario) , Minho (Ki Hong Lee) and Newt (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), are now fighting against a powerful organization called WCKD (Wicked). Having the daunting task of surviving the outside world filled with dangerous obstacles and the virus infected Cranks, Thomas and his friends only have one hope; to reach help from the resistance group, The Right Arm.

The scenes and landscapes in this movie are so detailed and beautiful that it feels like Thomas is fighting right along side you. In one scene there is a lightening storm and you could almost feel the rain on your skin.

With the suspense throughout the movie, you need to hang on to your popcorn because there are moments where people or things pop out and your popcorn will be flying. It was so thrilling to be on the edge of your seat and not know what was going to happen next.

This sequel picks up right where the first movie, The Maze Runner, left off. Returning fans may enjoy getting right into the original plot, but this could turn away newcomers. Without seeing the first movie, you will have no idea what is happening in the second.

For the most part the acting was good but secondary characters lacked conviction. It was made clear that they were the antagonist but the portrayal of their characters did not live up to it.

Though the movie does have a lot of action, they are always either running or shooting. Even though it is repetitive, the scenery and graphics are enough to keep the action from becoming boring.

If you are a fan of The Maze Runner book series you may be disappointed. The creators left out big parts of the book and though it is similar to the book, the movie is very different.

The Scorch Trials movie does have creepy, terrifying creatures and could not be suitable for all children.

Even though the movie can be repetitive at times and creepy at others, the overall acting, story line and graphics were well done.

Overall, this movie is an A-.